Monday, February 13, 2012

names

I was thinking the other day about the various nicknames that the wife and I have for our son. With another kid on the way (a daughter, at least as far as we have been able to tell -- she hasn't been very cooperative) I was thinking about what I would call her, other than her name, I mean. I realized that the whole nickname thing really just comes out on it's own, doesn't it? Even now when talking about the coming baby, we use nicknames that kind of just formed (the term "bun in the oven" led us to calling the baby "bun", then after finding out it is (most likely) a girl, it morphed into "bunella", for example). Same with our son. We have a couple of "established" nicknames that we use pretty regularly, and I can pretty much trace them back to their beginnings. It's not like we just sat down one day and decided to call our son by a specific nickname, so why am I finding myself focusing on trying to come up with a nickname for #2 already? I can only assume it's because as the dad-to-be, I feel like I'm pretty much doing nothing while the wife does everything (namely the whole baby-growing thing, but other things as well). Maybe I am trying to trick myself into thinking that if I come up with a nickname or whatever then I've "done my part", as completely stupid as that sounds. Not that I'm not doing other things of course (getting things ready for the baby, etc) but when compared to what the wife is doing, it makes me feel like nothing I have done, or really could do, could compare. So long story short, thanks for doing all that baby making stuff, wife.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to do the baking if you take care of the nicknaming :)

    ReplyDelete