Friday, February 17, 2012

pressure

I often wonder if, even now, I am pressuring my son into my own interests. I am a huge space and science nerd (and had the standard little boy dream of being an astronaut before reality came by with it's "normal expectations") and the wife and I (emphasis on the latter) are already doing the whole space thing with him. Room painted a deep sky blue color, decals of rockets and stars and planets everywhere, rockets on his clothes, books about space, etc. Is it too early to be putting all this space stuff on him? I mean it's not like we force him into things, and at this age it's not like he really has any other interests other than Caillou and cookies and Elmo and trains and trucks and playdoh and painting and reading and...ok, he has a lot of interests apparently, but it's not like he doesn't seem to like the space stuff or anything. I don't know, maybe I'm being ridiculous for being concerned over such a thing, especially at two years old. If he's not into space stuff or whatever else I'm in to (cooking, being awesome). Even still, do I cut back on focusing on this one interest and instead open him up to a lot more stuff? I think I do a pretty good job about exposing him to other things as well, but is that really the case? And will I feel disappointed if when he is older he DOESN'T have the same interest in space or whatever that I do? I like to think that I won't, but again, who knows. I guess being aware of situations like this is better than just assuming that he'll love what I love, right? I just don't know what I'm going to do if he decides to be into sports because I have no idea how most sports are played/scored/etc. Of course if he does get into sports, I will do whatever it takes to nurture that, including figuring out how many goals are in a bases loaded touchdown freethrow and whatever else happens in sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment