Friday, May 13, 2016

Paying attention

This is actually part of a message board homework assignment I wrote for a class I'm in, but I wanted to post it here.

I wanted to point out what I feel is one of the most important things mentioned in the chapter. Johnson (2012) states "kids get hooked because big people take the time to really look at the work they have done and comment on it" (p. 121). I think this is something that many of us (myself included) can be guilty of when it comes to working with children. I was thinking back to an experience here at home earlier today, when my son wanted to show me a project he was working on, and I kind of shooed him away because I was busy doing something of my own. I luckily noticed his expression and his look of sadness that I didn't give him the attention he needed, so I stopped what I was doing and made it a point to talk to him and see what it was he wanted to show me. In the future, I need to be more cognizant of his needs and at least acknowledge his interest, if I want him to remain creative and inquisitive. It left me wondering, how many times have I done this where I didn't notice the effect it was having on him?
Children crave attention, acceptance, understanding, and the feeling of accomplishment. We need to make sure that we don't let their desires and needs fade away like many of our own probably have over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment